Brie Stuffed French Toast With a Pear, Lemon, Ginger Topping
I can never make this dish without singing an homage to fromage:
SWEET DREAMS ARE MADE OF CHEESE,
WHO AM I TO DISS A BRIE?
I CHEDDAR THE WORLD
AND THE FETTA CHEESE,
EVERYBODY IS LOOKING FOR STILTON.
The night before:
- 1 baguette (I use a 3 Korn bread)
- 4 oz brie
- 4 eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Slice baguette into slices, each with a pocket. (slice through the loaf, then half way through, then all the way through.)
2. Insert a slice of brie into the pockets
3. Place slices in a glass baking pan
4. Mix ingredients and pour over stuffed bread. Let sit 10 minutes and then turn over
5. Cover the dish and place in fridge overnight.
In the morning:
2. Place soaked sliced on a greased cookie sheet. Place in the over for 8 minutes. Remove and turn slices over. Bake for another 7 minutes.
Pear Ginger Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ lemon zest and juice
- 3-4 nuggets candied ginger, slivered
- 6. 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced.
1. Melt butter in skillet.
2. Add brown sugar, lemon zest and juice, and silvered candied ginger
3. Add the peeled, cored and sliced pears to the skillet
4. Sauté gently until the pears are soft but not mushy
Arrange pears on top of the French Toast and drizzle some of the thickened pan juices over. Serve with Chicken sausages.
Sing a little song, do a little dance, and serve. Eet smakelyk! (That's pronouced "8 Shmukaluk") which is Dutch for Bon Appétit.